A Taxi Business license is required for all companies operating a taxi business within Boise. Additionally, Taxi Drivers must have a business driver license and all taxi vehicles must be inspected and have a business vehicle license.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR EXISTING LICENSE HOLDERS
Existing Taxi Business licenses are being extended until after the first of the year (2019). If you have an existing license you will receive an updated license with the new expiration date in the mail in the coming weeks, along with more information on how to renew your license going forward.
Additionally, there will be no visual inspections at the City Shop in June. Visual inspections will be conducted upon renewal of your license after the first of the year (2019). You will get a notification about the new date for your inspection in the mail soon.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the City Clerk's office at (208) 972-8150 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Boise has recently launched a new online licensing system that allows you to apply for your license online. First time users of this system will be required to set up an account.
Before applying, you must have approval of your taxi color scheme.
- Each owner of a licensed taxicab vehicle or fleet of vehicles shall submit a distinctive and uniform color scheme to the City Clerk for approval prior to making application for a taxicab license under Title 5 of the Boise City Code.
- Each designated color scheme shall not conflict with or imitate any color scheme, monogram, name or insignia used by another concern, unless approved by such concern, in such a manner as to be misleading or tend to deceive or defraud the public.
- The body of each taxicab shall have, painted upon it or permanently affixed to it by means of a plate or other device approved by the City Clerk, the trade name under which the owner operates, together with the cab number of the vehicle.
- All the lettering mentioned in this paragraph shall not be less than two inches (2") in height.
- New, additional or repainted vehicles will conform to the approved scheme and all vehicles shall display the approved scheme, trade name and cab number at the time of inspection.
- If you have questions regarding the approved color schemes of any licensed Boise City taxi company, please call (208) 972-8150.
Step 1: Apply Online
- Login here. If you are a first time user you will need to create an account.
- After logging in, click "APPLY > LICENSE" in the top menu bar.
- Review and accept the online disclaimer.
- Select the Taxi Business Application from the menu and apply.
Step 2: Background Check Required
You are applying for a license that requires a background check. You must come to Boise City Hall for fingerprinting.
- Background checks require fingerprinting and must be done at Boise City Hall. (150 N. Capitol Blvd., Boise, ID 83702)
- Fingerprinting must be completed before your license will be processed.
- For more information, contact the City Clerk's office at (208) 972-8150 or email@example.com.
For questions or additional information on the new system, please visit the Permitting & Licensing FAQ's.